An application programming interface (API) is rules which stipulate how the various components within software applications should interact. It defines the format, protocols, and security requirements for exchanging data between two distinct web-based applications. API allows end-users to get a response to the requests they send from an app. It translates the returned data into the information they understand.
All application programming interfaces have the following three distinct features:
- Procedures which allow an API program to carry out specific functions,
- Protocols that enable the APIs to communicate data between different software applications, and
- Tools that enable APIs to come up with the components to make new software programs.
What does API integration mean?
API integration refers to the smooth and continuous connectivity, which enables companies to automate their business processes. It streamlines the flow and sharing of data between different software systems within their IT infrastructure. These could be enterprise resource planning, customer relationship management, accounting, inventory control, and e-commerce platforms. This makes it possible for companies to ensure the proper exchange of information between back-office departments. They can even link up with their trading partners’ computer systems using a cloud EDI platform. This helps to improve the internal efficiency of their supply chains.
Why combine API with EDI?
API integration allows companies to directly access their data through a customized interface even with cloud EDI technology. As the connection is secure, they do not run the risk of losing any metadata. This means companies can see the transmission of an invoice to a trading partner on their EDI systems. They can confirm the receipt of the document before the end-user sends the text message. This minimizes the risks of a potential mix -up or mistake within the supply chain.
What should organizations consider when integrating API with EDI for business growth?
Companies should consider the following when devising a suitable strategy for combining API with cloud platform:
- Familiarize themselves with APIs, their usage and best practices,
- Find a reliable API service provider specializing in the right technology, and
- Ensure API technology is compatible with their IT infrastructure and addresses future needs
Advantages of API interfaces with EDI for every business
The advantages of combining application programming interface with EDI for companies are as follows:
- Instant transfer of vital business information in real-time,
- Installing and operating the system is not a time-consuming process for the business
- Better access to other software application, databases, and system other than EDI,
- Overcomes deficiencies in the architecture of the companies’ IT infrastructure, and
- Compatible with present and the latest technologies to promote smooth connectivity.
Combining API integration with EDI technology allows companies to take their businesses to the next level. They can transfer and receive vital commercial information in real-time. Moreover, they even can access it from other systems and databases. The application programming interface is versatile enough to be compatible with both present and latest technologies. This ensures the companies get seamless connectivity throughout their supply chains at all times, boosting their competitive edge in the market with success.